• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spice & Wolf: merchant meets the wise wolf (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eilavel

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:37 am Reply with quote
They skipped an episode compared to the last adaptation- E7 was previously devoted to buying clothes. It wasn't a particularly insightful trade and makes sense to skip. Will this be the only skip, allowing these 25 episodes to end where the previous 26 did, or will there be more and we actually get some new material?

Otherwise, a fine episode leaning more into the economics before we open the next arc.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:52 am Reply with quote
That particular episode was actually an OVA, which was released later (on the home video release, I believe). It's always included as "episode 7" in the episode order now, but it wasn't actually part of what aired on TV. So it could be said from that point of view they didn't "skip" anything.

(I quite liked that episode, for the record. Sometimes it's okay to have an episode that's all economics lessons and flirting and no plot.)
Eilavel

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 10:24 am Reply with quote
Ah, fair enough. I probably inserted in timeline in my last rewatch which is now too distant for me to remember those details. If they skip the other that would give them 20 minutes to play with I guess.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:53 pm Reply with quote

Nora Adent makes her debut, and she's an interesting contrast with Kraft Lawrence as she's also ambitious and open to taking risks if it means achieving her dream job. Seeing Holo get jealous over Nora is just as amusing as it was previously. I don't actually remember the part about her having to rest early so that she can stay awake all night to guard her flock; being a lone shepherd back then was tough especially when she has the reputation of being a witch because of her superlative handling skills keeping regular wolves at bay. The hard stare from the church official when she brought the flock in indicates not all is well with her relationship with the Church despite her knowledge of the usual rituals.

As for Lawrence, he hasn't suspected anything despite the uncommon reactions from the customs officials. He's already been told he made a good choice paying his tariff in kind, while the odd look given when he said he'd imported the armour from the previous town wasn't caught on. The second part of the episode title mentions the unwelcome news; that is actually given at the end of the episode. Lawrence will have to find out for himself just how bitter the armour is.

Rowen trading house is Kraft Lawrence's guild (and also the name of choice for this adaptation's production committee). Just as well he has allies to turn to in the city when there's trouble. The master there taught Lawrence all he knows about business, so he'll have something to say once the bad news reaches Lawrence. The setup for this arc is nearly done, all that remains is the execution which I'm keen to see to the end.
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:52 pm Reply with quote
When this arc was originally made in light novel, was it before the 2008 anime, if so they knew a woman character was going to come into the story, so why Yarei with Chloe, a female character is coming, why in such a rush to have another female character you have to change the story in the first arc. Than it becomes contrived that we keep running into woman arc after arc.

Anyway that is the other anime, I am interested to see if they tone down Holo's jealousy and resentment towards Norah. Girls being catty because of a guy that is just something that is so cliche.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:24 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Huh, not having any knowledge about the series before jumping into the anime I expected the show to be void of action and focused solely on economics and some romance...

Not having watched the original or this until just last week, the very reason I didn't was that several reviewers characterized it that way and I concluded it "wasn't for me". I also started wondering why I avoided it those years ago and seeing what was airing alongside it gave the answer...Clannad, Naruto, Bleach, True Tears among several now-classics...

I have been comparing the original and new versions as I find myself liking this show and I almost thought the VA for Holo was a new actress until I checked and was surprised to see it was the same Brinna Palencia! She has gotten much better over these 16 years....
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:08 am Reply with quote
Since the original, always dread what happens next, all after Lawrence was so happy about his smart moves, and yet you can feel dread. The deal he risked his life for, followed by catching a rat trying to cheat him, and now he keeps getting funny looks.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 5:56 pm Reply with quote

The hammer falls, and Lawrence learns firsthand what a black swan event feels like. Greed really does blind even the most conservative merchants into taking too much risk without the cover or hedge required to minimise losses if the unexpected occurs.

Lawrence is not exactly lying when he says Holo is his business partner, but the problem is perception. Like his trading master says, the first thing which comes to mind to strangers is he is begging for loans not to service his crushing debt which is now public knowledge, but to maintain her living expenses even when the first thing he should do which his master recommended was to ditch her. Given what they've gone through, Lawrence can't do that. Although he's shown how wide his own network is, it hasn't helped him ironically because Holo insisted she tag along not knowing how that affects perceptions of him.

This week's economics (and social history) lessons should be quite obvious: the dangers of going into unsecured debt, the enforcement of contracts in a decentralised legal framework and long standing prejudice against itinerant merchants who aren't single. Lawrence is very much backed into a corner now, yet he has forgotten the most recent investment he made and has not asked for her help. There is one venture he has not yet considered either as he wouldn't touch it under normal circumstances. Having hit rock bottom now, he has the rest of the quarter to bring himself back from the brink. How this is approached in the new adaptation should be interesting for me as I remember the outcome but not the negotiating process.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4